On the web, a button is really just an image (that looks like a button) that has a link (to the webpage the button will open) associated with it. The “Find us on Facebook” image just above has had our ACWP FB Page connected to it, so that if you click on that image, it will take you to our Facebook Page.
Here are the steps to putting up a FB button on your WordPress site:
- Download a FB button image to your computer. Right-click on the image above (or the one to the right, or any other FB button image you like), and look for the option to “Save Image As”. This will open up the dialog box to save the image file. Save the file in a location where you can find it.
- Go to the page or post where you will be creating the button (in our ACWP sites with “Widget Content” managers, you can also create buttons in Widget Content posts too).
- Upload the image file, just as you would normally upload an image, but right under where you would set the alignment (right, left or center), look for a drop-down to choose the “Link to”. By default, this will be set at “Media File”. Instead, choose “Custom URL”.
- Now immediately below the “Custom URL’ choice, you should see the box ready for the URL of your FB Page. Open another browser page or tab and go to your Facebook Page. Copy the URL to your clipboard, and go back to the Insert Image overlay to paste it in. Then click “Insert into Post”.
- If you need to resize the button a bit, it’s okay to click on the image and drag-and-drop the corners, just like a regular image in WP.
- Finally, click “Publish” or “Update”.
By the way, it’s a good idea to put how to find you on FB in your print media too — your bulletins & print newsletters. Be sure to tell them exactly the name of your FB Page– are you “First UMC, Smallville” or “First United Methodist of Smallville” or “FUMC, Smallville”?